Monday, November 1, 2010

Otehake Hot Springs


This Weka (large, flightless & fearless) woke me up at 3am- eating my lunch!

Otehake River
The pools without anyone in them
Soaking feet in the hot springs
Lake Kaurapataka
The Otehake hot springs are naturally occurring hot sulphur springs on the side of the Otehake river. They are the perfect temperature- like a hot tub! When the water level is really high, you wouldn't even know they are there- but most of the time it is low, and they are big enough to fit in 10 people (with a little digging!) They hike is only about five hours each way and most of it is flat, but it is through two chest-deep, freezing cold rivers (that can get impassable if it rains a lot), and down a very steep valley wall where sometimes you have nothing but tree roots to cling to for your life- but it is worth it!

7 comments:

  1. nice pics. Sounds like a treacherous journey to the sweet springs. I wish there were more backcountry natural hotsprings in the rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has to be a few- perhaps they are kept secret by the people that know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making me very jealous! We went for a walk around a frozen lake on Saturday and I actually thought of you and that you would have missed being there... but I guess you were doing something a little cooler - and warmer...
    Much love, E

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still miss it a bit Erica- it is truly wonderful to be here, but there is no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine---you can climb a mountain,trek a hike,swim in neck deep rivers----and also get A Commonwealth Scholarship---that's achievement !!!!( and all in one person)---Love you Cath(I am soooo proud of you) As we all are to even know someone like you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your mom Cath! We are so proud of you and all that you have accomplished :) I feel lucky to have you as such a wonderful friend. XOXO Luv ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh...shucks. Thanks so much guys! I am luckier to have people on the other side of the world that care enough to follow what we are doing so closely!

    ReplyDelete