Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Earthquake- February 22nd

Thanks so much to everyone for the emails and messages expressing concern for Brad and I! We are so grateful to have such wonderful friends and family and we love you!
We are ok and our power is back on at home. We are in Kaikoura right now, but we may head back later- we aren't sure. There are major sanitation issues and we won't be able to use our toilet- which is a major issue (let alone shower or drink the water without boiling it). But the main thing is that we are ok.
We were both at the university at the time of the earthquake (myself in engineering, and Brad in education) on the 3rd and 4th floors respectively. I was filling up my water bottle in the washroom, and at first I thought it was just a little aftershock but it kept on going. I didn't know what to do or where to stand- the walls were cracking, doors were swinging, lights were smashing. When it stopped, everyone was fleeing the building and I couldn't go back to my office to get my wallet, bag, phone and jacket. At first I was upset and wanted to go back in- even though I was shaking- and knew it was not a small earthquake. I stood in the parking lot with a few other people that had important items in the building- but then another big aftershock hit and the water tower next to the building (which was already cracked and leaking) started swaying, I realized that it was absolutely ridiculous to think I should try to go back in. It's funny how you completely lose your senses. We are so lucky we weren't downtown! Just 45 minutes earlier I was in a big department store- and I am so glad I wasn't there when it hit! Everything falling off the huge shelves.....
A lot of people are still missing and many people have lost loved ones. Please pray for them, and for the people who are still trapped, and for those who were injured.

3 comments:

  1. OHHHHH Cath---I thank God you and Brad are fine!!!! What a terrible experience!!! I just will be so worried until you guys are home to stay.

    I just can't even imagine the scary time it must have been!!!

    I love you so much ---come home safe PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's all really unbelievable. Brad's supervisor's wife narrowly escaped with her life- when the church fell down, and debris hit her car (but she's ok).
    But Christchurch will recover from it with the help of the rest of the country and the rest of the world. It recovered very well and quite quickly from the last earthquake, and although this one is much worse, with time (and money, and a lot of hard work from a lot of people,) everything will get back to normal eventually.

    ReplyDelete