Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cameron Hut (Arrowsmiths)





The Arrowsmith mountain range is one of the mountain ranges in New Zealand that has been glaciated, and it looks a bit more like the rockies. Cameron Hut is located in a glacial basin, and the Cameron glacier and Douglas glacier are just behind it. Unfortunately they have retreated a lot in recent years (the hut has been around since 1952), so nowadays only the very base of the Cameron glacier can be seen from the hut. The hut has 9 beds (as bunks) but it is pretty tiny- and uninsulated, with no stove! It went down to -12 at night, but surprisingly, after cooking supper, it stayed fairly warm in the hut- although a few people woke up to find their hiking boots frozen solid. (Just to be sure, I had kept mine practically under my pillow!)

4 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds cold. I know it's probably not bad when you're hiking though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt really warm during the day, especially in the sun. At night I did have my down filled jacket with me which I was grateful for. (I'm glad you told me to bring it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I knew it! Down rules! It packs up small and nothing provides as much warmth as it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Cath!!! Always so practical!!!! I can learn from you as always. Hope the rest of the winter goes well for you and that your research "ticks" along!!!
    Love Mommy

    ReplyDelete