Sunday, July 18, 2010

Port Levy


Banks Peninsula (Christhcurch is right next to Lyttleton on the top)
Port Levy is the 2nd bay from the top

These trees just grew this way due to the prevailing wind!



Thundercat Boating
Kayaking
This weekend I went to Port Levy with the tramping club. Although the weather wasn't perfect, it was nice to see what the bay was like. Port Levy is one of the many bays in the Banks Peninsula. The Banks Peninsula is of volcanic origin (you can tell from the map), and it is just south of Christchurch. All the bays are very calm and great from kayaking (and swimming- in the summer. The water feels really cold at this time of the year!) Someone from the tramping club brought along their Thundercat boat and we each got to go for a ride. It can go really fast- and if there weren't straps for your hands and feet you'd surely fall off! A crazy sport is Thundercat racing over giant ocean waves. It's really dangerous though- it's not uncommon for boats to flip over.

3 comments:

  1. I could tell it was you in the thundercat boat---the very green jacket & hood was a great give-away!!!! I can see that the scenery is just nothing like we have in Canada. It's nice to see you are enjoying all of the outings with the tramping club.
    Love You Lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the tree picture. Those winds must be very consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those trees! I hope I can find to see them when I'm there. And everything else too, it all looks so beautiful, though I am glad the snows will almost be gone when we arrive. Keep having fun!

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete